I am a lover of coconut-based broths. Herbs and a bunch of seasonal greens that are braised gently in coconut milk and finished with some coconut aminos and lemon really work. It is perfect with some poached chicken (poach the chicken in it!) or some smoked tofu, but at the moment I love it for the afternoon snack. So grounding and deeply nourishing.
Why do I love it?
1) I get to use Honest to Goodness Coconut Cream.
2) Easy on the digestive system.
3) Quick to pull together and full of good nutrition.
Herbs, coconut and lemon just work!
NOTE: Coconut aminos are similar to tamari. It is exceptionally rich in minerals, amino acids and is super delicious - in my opinion it is more nutrient dense than tamari, and therefore a great upgrade to sneak more nutrition in!
Seasonal Greens with Herby Coconut Broth
Serves 2 as main, 4 as a afternoon cup-a-soup
- 15 cm of leek, finely sliced (white and green is totally fine)
- 1 can coconut milk, 1 can of water
- Around 3 cups of seasonal greens based on what you have on hand. A combo of fennel, beans, zuchinni + asparagus, broccoli, kale, snow peas is yum!
- 1 cup of herbs, chopped
- 1 tbs coconut aminos
- Juice and zest of one lemon
Season to taste.
1. Heat 1 Tbs of coconut oil, with the finely sliced leek over a medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Add herbs, coconut aminos and coconut milk and gently simmer for 10 mins.
3. Add another tin of water and add in the vegetables.
4. Finish with lemon zest and juice. Taste and season accordingly.
AIP: This is very AIP friendly, you may just need to omit the green beans depending on who's specific protocol you are following. A lot say they are ok, some put them on a 'wait awhile and see if you can reintroduce them list.
Want more recipes like this delivered to your inbox semi-regularly? Sign up here. Or head on over and pick up a copy of my eBook Nourish + Delight - for $17.00 you will have so many recipes at your fingertips to access whenever you like!