Meet Jen from Be Kind Cleanse Co. and Her Mumma Bear Friendly Eggplant + Quinoa Salad
Does your day start with a bunch of cuddles from little humans? So does Jen’s. No alarm clock necessary - but before ‘feeding time at the zoo’ a.k.a BREAKFAST happens, a big-ass novelty stein of water and a splash of Hillbilly’s Fire Tonic makes sure that her simple baselines for hydration and digestive care are looked after. This may be in lieu of the sleep that she desperately wants, can you relate? Oh balance.
Whilst simple compromises, like sleep, are easier due to the little bundle of love in the house, Jen does not so easily compromise on food. “Food needs to be grown, not overly processed. Unrecognisable words on a package are a no-no but hey, really I am aiming for no package at all”
Jen is a keen cleanser, self assessed as 95% coconut (some for me, some for you, some for the pan and some for the chocolate kind of approach in Jen’s life) and when it comes to adversity and stress her advice is simple
“Adversity is definitely part of a full life but I am yet to encounter a challenge that was not improved by yoga or sleep... Both if you can get it! Failing that, a really good hug has its own magic.”
Like me, she is a mantra mutterer - her favourite being
‘I deserve the best and I accept the best right now’
“It is a beautiful way of building a sense of self worth and encouraging yourself to leap towards your dreams in the present, not just some time in the ambiguous future. I recommend muttering it to yourself 3 times in the shower each morning. It is honestly transformative!”
Jen has a penchant for tasty, exciting and colourful foods and makes up a massive serve of this salad to munch on during the week - possibly whilst listening to the enchanting voice of Ngaire “House On A Rock” or the groovy Glass Animals number, ‘Hazey. (You can listen to our collaborative playlist here). Having this salad on hand makes it easier to dump in a bowl and munch on - it is certainly mum approved! No left over sambo crusts to be seen!
EGGPLANT, QUINOA + POMEGRANATE SALAD
PREP TIME: 10 min // COOKING TIME: 20 min
(or 10 min if you have pre-prepared quinoa)
- 1 cup quinoa in any colour you prefer;
- the seeds of 1 pomegranate;
- 1/2 bunch of flat leaf parsley;
- 1 eggplant, cubed into 1cm pieces;
- 1/3 cup of mustard;
- 1 lemon, juiced
1. Start your quinoa off on the stove, cooking to the packet instructions or with 1:1 quinoa:water. This usually takes about 20 min.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius and start prep your eggplant, arranging on a baking paper lined tray to cook for around 10 min.
3. Deseed the pomegranate (no mean feat, I assure you) and ensure that only the jewelled seeds go into your serving bowl then add your chopped parsley & warm eggplant cubes.
4. Combine the mustard and lemon juice, whisking till incorporated then check that the quinoa is soft and drain if necessary.
When you're good to go in the quinoa department, gently stir through the dressing with the rest of the bunch until everything is combined. Serve warm or cold - it's tasty both ways!
Yum! Thanks Jen! You can find her on FB at Be Kind Cleanse Co xx