4 of my fave dressings to take you through summer (and revolutionise work lunch salads!)
I often just build salads with what I have, with a squeeze of citrus, splash of vinegar, herbs I have on hand and a sprinkle of dukkah, herbed salt of wakame gomasio….
But a good dressing is awesome for the repertoire - or simply to remind you that you already new that, and that you have those things in your cupboard right now!
Tip: The creamier dressings like the tahini and creamy green are also an amazing sauce for any patties or fritters!
1. Tahini based:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- juice one lemon OR 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar OR 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 tsp pink salt or 1 tsp miso
Blend it all together, or use your guns and whisk it. Let it sit for two minutes and blend in more water as required. Taste it, season it and store it in the fridge!
Bring it to room temp before using, and add more water 1 Tbs at a time to get it to the consistency you want! Tahini just keeps absorbing water, so don’t be afraid to re-season and re-juggle each time you use it
2. Creamy Cashew + Turmeric
- 1 cup of cashews, fill up the cup of cashews with boil water and allow to cool.
- one knob ginger, microplanes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- juice and zest one piece of citrus
- 1/3-1/2 tsp salt
- good grind of fresh black pepper
- -up to 1/3 cup additional water
Blend the cooled cashews in a high powered blender, or food processor for 3-4 minutes scraping down sides as required. Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
Add up to a 1/3 of a cup of water to reach the desired consistency
Want it extra decadent? Replace the additional water with coconut cream. Heaven!
3. GREEN MACHINE: Go-To Green Dressing
- 1/3 cup oil (olive, rapeseed, sunflower)
- juice lime
- 2 big handfuls of parsley, coriander, chives, basil, rocket
- say and pepper
MAKE IT CREAMY BY SWAPPING OIL FOR A RIPE AVOCADO
4. SUMMER SPICE: Mango, Chilli + Coconut Water!
I grew up on mango ave and this time of year often means I have mangoes coming out my ears (not this year though!). I love it in nice cream, as chutney and goes brilliantly with passionfruit in my chia jam recipe…but using all that flesh means that there is often a bunch of skins that are dripping with juicy reminders of summer days!
You can make this with the juice of your other mango dressings ( amounting to 1/2 cup juice), or blend the flesh of one small to medium mango. Fresh is best, but if you are using frozen, make sure you thaw it first!
- 1 mango (or 1 cup frozen, or 1/2 cup juice)
- 1 red chilli seeds and all
- 1/4-1/3 cup coconut water
- 2-3 Tbs spoons sunflower or rapeseed oil or coconut oil (something light in flavour - olive doesn’t work)
- hand full of coriander
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch pink salt!
PERFECT OVER FRESH REEF FISH AS A CEVICHE MARINADE AND PERFECT OVER FRESH GREENS, OR A TWIST ON POTATO SALAD!
Do you want a bonus one? Ok then, try this quick combo!
- 1 Tbs Maple
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Sunflower Oil
- S+P to taste
Throw it over some stonefruit, tomatoes and mint and watch your tastebuds dance.
I'd love to hear your favourite salad dressings!! Always up for more awesome combos xx