I love kale for lots of reasons - and none of them have 'superfood' attached to it. It is amazingly economical, and when prepared correctly a little goes a long way. Kale makes people talk - and not often with love. Forget leafy mouthfuls of metallic and dry kale - I have few hot tips to make kale enjoyable and better for your digestive system!
I will fight for the underdog, because it is such an economical green, and so much bang for your buck compared to any other green on the market. That being said, we need to prepare it properly - and make it delicious. You will not catch me munching on mouthfuls of raw kale leaves. To take is a step further, I see cafes and restaurants serving up leafy kale and I grimace cause it is a missed opportunity (and just a bit gross).
So how do transform a kale hater to someone exclaiming 'What? I love Kale now?!?'
1. You shred it and you massage it. Kale is a tough green, when we destem and shred it we physically cut into structures that make it tough - making it easier for your digestive system to get to the good stuff.
2. Then when we add salt and an acid (like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice) we start to change the chemical structure and massaging it - I call that adding Vitamin L(ove) - helps to further break down, and allow the goodness of kale to be more readily available.
3. I choose to add fat at this point (avo is a great) as it slows down the digestion and helps with the absorption of nutrients.
I keep banging on about the digestion thing because so many people that are looking to eat kale, as a generalisation, generally are dealing with a weak digestive system - bombarding it with raw tough greens is not conducive to nourishing our gut, and definitely not healing it. I bet it actually makes them feel a little average but they persist because they have been told that it is good for them.
In any case these couple of tips will help to get the most out of your kale and enjoy all the goodness it has to offer!
Here is a basic recipe to get you going, but I am sure you will come up with lots of different options to keep your tastebuds dancing!
Kale w Avocado Herb Dressing
- 1 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and shredded
- 1 avocado
- juice of one lemon
- generous pinch salt
- assorted herbs
- ½ punnet teardrop or baby roma toms – optional
- ½ cup toasted seeds (I like pepitas, sunflower and black sesame)
Massage avo, lemon and herbs into into shredded kale, taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the other delicious bits.
This salad stores exceptionally well when made with coconut oil instead of avocado and great to have on hand to chuck in a small fry pan with an egg on it with a sprinkle of dukkah or tomato relish for some seriously good fast food!
So good. So. So. Good.