My Fave Tomato Relish
This one is always requested, and always talked about - and one of the few recipes that I haven't changed over the years. It is the same as it was the first time I made it! It is the perfect addition to cheeseboards, a quick tomato sauce for zoodles, and is great thrown on your eggs and greens at breakfast.
This is a brilliant staple to have on hand in the fridge (not that it lasts long!
The Collective's Fave Tomato Relish (makes one 500-750ml)
- 1 leek, white portion finely sliced (you can use 1 small red onion, diced, instead)
- 1kg mixed tomatoes, some roughly chopped and some baby ones left whole (canned BPA free is fine - I like the Annalisa brand)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 75ml red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a heavy bottom pan to temp over a medium heat, Add leek, chilli and tomatoes and bring to boil.
2. When at boil, reduce to simmer and add balsamic, pepper and pinch of salt. Let it blip away for 30–40 mins - it scrape sides occasionally.
3. It will thicken slightly on cooling, season and pour into clean sterilised jars - so you can have them on hand any time (though it will last in fridge for a week or two - theoretically).
Perfect for a tomato glut in the summer time :)
TIP: This recipe is fine without leek, but if you don't have any intolerances then adding 1 red onion and 2 cloves of garlic to this mix makes it something really special!
Cheese plates, zoodles, or with coconut cream to a quicker-than-you-can-imagine-tomato-soup #swoonworthy - so many ways to incorporate this one!!